Prior to the establishment of White Sands Proving Ground
in 1945, the real estate which now comprises the Missile Range was primarily
used for ranching purposes. Even after the Proving Ground was established,
some ranching operations continued for many years in some areas of the range.
So, the history and heritage of Missile Range includes ranching. Thus,
several displays in the Museum reflect this heritage, as in this well worn
saddle from the Cox ranch, which was partially taken for the Missile Range and
whose headquarters is still operating just to the West of the main post area.