Referred to as the "V2 Gantry Crane," this structure was used for other missiles as well. It
was designed to directly service missiles and rockets up to 54 feet high. Construction of
the Gantry Crane started in August 1946 and was completed in November. Construction cost -
The missile shown under the Gantry Crane is a
Hermes A-1, on loan from the Space and
Exploration Department of the National Air and Space Museum at the Smithsonian Institute in
Washington, DC. The crane and Hermes A-1 are sitting over the "Blast Pit."