P4Y Drone Target
Museum Logo
WHITE SANDS MISSILE
RANGE MUSEUM

Privacy and
Security Notice

MUSEUM HOME

GENERAL
INFORMATION

MISSILE PARK

OTHER MISSILES

INSIDE EXHIBITS

HALL OF FAME

ARCHIVES

GUEST STORIES

WHITE SANDS
COMMANDERS

RANGE HISTORY

WHAT? WHO?

OLD-TIMERS
BULLETIN
BOARD


MISSILE  RANGE
HISTORICAL
FOUNDATION

WHITE  SANDS
PIONEER GROUP


WHITE SANDS
MISSILE RANGE
Home Page

US ARMY
CENTER OF
MILITARY HISTORY

OTHER LINKS


E-Mail: Museum Director
E-Mail: Webmaster

 

   
Previous
Previous Page
P4Y Drone Target
     The P4Y four engine heavy bomber was the Navy’s version of the B-24. Between 1959 and 1961, ten of these droned (remotely controlled) aircraft were fired at by Talos missiles. Some of the P4Ys were fitted with ALT-6B jammers while other target engagements were for evaluation of expanding rod warhead damage. Navy crews flew the aircraft to White Sands from the Pacific Missile Range at Point Mugu CA. Landing and takeoff of the targets was done from the ground but in-flight control was performed by pilots in F6F aircraft flying at a safe distance parallel to the target. Mr. George Helfrich is standing at right.

Photo from the George Helfrich Collection